There is nothing better to wear on a summer day or tropical getaway than a romper. They’re a one-piece instant outfit, comfortable to wear, and very stylish. They are the perfect chic alternative to the one-piece summer dress. Summertime may be winding down, but if you are planning any tropical getaway (or even a visit to our sunny South Florida!) this fall or winter, make sure a romper is part of your wardrobe.
Sure, some critics may say that rompers are adult versions of infant onesies. They may complain that you have to strip down to use the restroom. However, rompers are one of the trendiest garments for spring and summer, and they’re a fashion piece that is here to stay. They come in so many different styles and designs, you’re sure to find one that is perfect for you. I love a well-fitted romper and would choose rompers over shorts or dresses any day.
Here are a few reasons why:
1) One stop outfit. Rompers are great because they are only one piece. You do not need to stand in front of your closet, trying to pick out a coordinating top and bottom. Just grab a romper, throw it on, and get on with your day. This is especially convenient when you’re on vacation and just want to spend more time having fun rather than getting ready.
2) Comfort. Hanging on the rack, it may not look like the most comfy thing, but once you put one one, you’ll see how comfortable it actually is. Your vacations and summers will be forever changed. Rompers are breezy and light, and most are loosely fit and very forgiving of bulges and curves.
3) They allow for many activities. Unlike with dresses, you can bend, sit and play in rompers without any worry. They are perfect for sightseeing, walks, picnics, sports games, poolside brunches, and playdates with the kids. That’s why they’re called rompers!
4) You can keep it casual or dress it up. Simply accessorize with a statement necklace or dangly earrings, and switch out the sandals or loafers for wedges or strappy heels. You can even put on a pastel or bright-colored blazer, or tie your hair up in a tight bun, for a fancier night out. This is why rompers are so great – they are so versatile.
5) They can be very flattering for all body types. Like with any garment, it’s all about finding the right one for you. The most important thing to consider when choosing a romper is the fit. The looser fitting rompers can look good on everyone. Choose a low v-neck if you want to accentuate the neckline, or an off-the-shoulder style to accentuate the decolletage, both of which are areas that are universally flattering on all women. They come in short-sleeve, mid-sleeve, long-sleeve, or sleeveless varieties. There are ones with halter tops, spaghettie straps, midriff cut-outs, and open backs. The options are endless.
Whereas its sibling, the jumpsuit, can have a commanding power-suit quality or the dressiness of a evening gown, the romper gives off a more playful, weekend vibe.
I’m wearing the Aleena Romper from BB Dakota, which is currently on sale (50% off for $45) at ShopBop and also available at Revolve. Shop Bop also offers free 2-day shipping for Amazon Prime members! You can have this just in time for Labor Day weekend!
October 10th, 2016 Update: It is sold out on ShopBob, but sizes have been restocked at 6pm and it’s on sale there for $47.99!
It has convenient slant hip pockets, a button-down top for options of more or less cleavage, an elastic waistband that cinches nicely, and a beautiful floral print. I receive so many compliments when I wear this out. 🙂
Please leave a comment and tell me what you think. Thank you!